UPDATE: Bim has since honed his steak cooking skills. He shares his tips to make almost perfect steaks on this post.
Last weekend, Bim, mastermind of GeekOut had the brilliant idea to cook for me. Instead of eating out as usual, we opted to stay in, cook for the family, and enjoy the (relatively) cooler weather in the house. Because he’s not exactly Alton Brown, we consulted the Boucouse In Your Kitchen cookbook to find a simple enough recipe to follow and eventually decided on Steaks au poivre and Pommes de terre sautées.
Here’s the thing, we forgot the book when we headed out so he had to wing it. Steaks au poivre and Pommes de terre sautées became Bim’s Butter Garlic Steak and Boiled Potatoes.
Look at how smug he is!
Here’s what you’ll need:
– 750g of beef tenderloin cut into inch thick slices
– 1 stick of butter
– 1 small bag of baby potatoes
– 1 clove of garlic, skinned and minced
– Rosemary (optional)
I’m not entirely sure why he keeps pointing at the meat
Here’s how to make a hearty homemade steak dinner:
Garlic butter steak
Season the meat with a liberal amount of salt and pepper and set aside for 15 minutes. Melt 2/3rds a stick of butter in a non stick pan. When the pan is hot enough, sauté the garlic in butter just until the smell of garlic fills your kitchen. Remove the golden bits of garlic and set aside. Turn up the heat until it’s hot enough and sear the meat, 6-8 minutes per side for medium well done steak (less if you like it rare or medium rare or medium and more for well done steaks). Put on a plate and sprinkle garlic (from earlier) and rosemary on top.
Fill a pot with water, put potatoes in, sprinkle with salt and wait for it to boil. Let the water boil for a few minutes and then poke one of the taters with a fork to check if it’s done (it’s ready when you can easily stick the fork in). Drain the water from the pot and mix in the rest of the butter with the potatoes. Add salt to taste (you can add basil too, if you like).
Best served with salad on the side (thanks Lianne and Roma!).
Bim gives his steaks a 6 out of 10 rating, I give it an 8. The meat was tender and the flavor was just mouth-watering (loosely translated as “You should cook for me again!”). Wearing this apron alone added 1 to the total score.
Latest posts by bacontunamelt (see all)
- Craving a hearty breakfast but still want a low carb meal? Try replacing your white rice with some quinoa! It only has about 17 grams of net carbs per serving, so you can still enjoy a good breakfast the way you like it. ~~~ PM us for orders and inquiries. 🌟🎁🎄 #chia #quinoa #superfood #superfoods #chiaph #quinoaph #keto #ketoph #phseller #healthyph #christmasgiftideas #giftideas #giftofhealth #christmasph #happyhealthyawesome #happyhealthy #happyhealthyholidays #BTMrecommends - December 16, 2017
- Since we discovered how awesome this lesser-known superfood is, we wanted to share the goodness of goji berries with all of you. Now available in 100g snack packs, our Goji Supershot is a healthy mix of dried goji berries, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds to make for a festive, healthy, supersnack. Let us know if you want some. :), “Used as traditional Chinese medicine since 200BC, goji berries have been extensively researched for their ability to generate general feelings of well-being, improve neurologic/psychologic traits, support better gastrointestinal health and bowel functions, help build stronger musculoskeletal systems, and improve cardiovascular health. They’re easy to add to meals to boost energy levels and performance.” http://ift.tt/29qvnit 🌟🎁🎄 #goji #gojiberries #chia #quinoa #superfood #superfoods #chiaph #quinoaph #keto #ketoph #phseller #healthyph #christmasgiftideas #giftideas #giftofhealth #christmasph #happyhealthyawesome #happyhealthy #happyhealthyholidays #BTMrecommends - December 16, 2017
- Stronger bones and muscles, healthier digestive systems, and firmer skin- that’s just a few of the benefits of chia. Get your friends and family started on their health journey by giving them this superfood! Each bottle of our chia is good for at least 18 servings. Drop us a message if you want to order, we’ll ship them to you before Christmas! 🌟🎁🎄 #chia #quinoa #superfood #superfoods #chiaph #quinoaph #keto #ketoph #phseller #healthyph #christmasgiftideas #giftideas #giftofhealth #christmasph #happyhealthyawesome #happyhealthy #happyhealthyholidays #BTMrecommends - December 15, 2017