Last Christmas, I was gifted with a fondue set and I’ve been trying to find a good recipe to test it out with. My family’s annual (durr) New Year’s day get together seemed like the perfect occasion for it. The fondue set I have is actually for fondue au fromage, or cheese fondue, but since I’ve been on a dessert making spree (and sweets are my poison), I decided to make chocolate fondue instead.
Because of the disaster stories I’ve read and the warnings of how difficult chocolate is to work with, I was apprehensive to try it. With my limited kitchen skills, I was afraid of ruining New Year’s day dessert (oh the horror). However, I found a simple and pretty flexible recipe that I put on my brave face and set out to conquer the world *music reaches crescendo* of melting chocolate (huh?). Here’s my recipe, adapted from that one over at Food.com.
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate (shaved or cut into small blocks)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- stainless (or glass bowl) with a bottom wider than the mouth of the saucepan
What to do:
Step 1: Pour (about) an inch high’s worth of water in your saucepan and place it over medium heat. Using the Bain-marie method, put your dry stainless bowl on top of the saucepan and make sure that the bottom of your bowl doesn’t touch the water.
Does that sound difficult? You can do it! Check out this picture of how your setup should look like-
Step 2: When the water starts simmering, pour the shaved chocolate and the milk in the bowl and mix until it blends to a thick but still pourable consistency (you’re looking for a slightly thinned Nutella consistency). This step shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes.
Step 3 (optional, but do it anyway): Take the bowl out of the heat, and mix in the vanilla.
Voila! You’ve got your melted chocolate covered. Wasn’t that way too easy? I know, I know, some recipes tell you to just pop your chocolate in the microwave for a few minutes and you’re good to go, but you get a lumpy melted chocolate that way. This method results in a smoother chocolate mixture that’s just irresistibly delicious.
Transfer the mixture into your fondue pot and light a candle under it to keep it nice and warm. Then gather fruits and marshmallows in a big bowl and serve next to your fondue pot with a few short barbecue sticks and you’ve got yourself a fancy looking dessert that everyone will love (who doesn’t like chocolate?).
Ooh, it’s nearing the Chinese New Year! It’s time to bring out the pot again (I’m thinking of tikoy dipped in melted chocolate)!
Latest posts by bacontunamelt (see all)
- Craving a hearty breakfast but still want a low carb meal? Try replacing your white rice with some quinoa! It only has about 17 grams of net carbs per serving, so you can still enjoy a good breakfast the way you like it. ~~~ PM us for orders and inquiries. 🌟🎁🎄 #chia #quinoa #superfood #superfoods #chiaph #quinoaph #keto #ketoph #phseller #healthyph #christmasgiftideas #giftideas #giftofhealth #christmasph #happyhealthyawesome #happyhealthy #happyhealthyholidays #BTMrecommends - December 16, 2017
- Since we discovered how awesome this lesser-known superfood is, we wanted to share the goodness of goji berries with all of you. Now available in 100g snack packs, our Goji Supershot is a healthy mix of dried goji berries, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds to make for a festive, healthy, supersnack. Let us know if you want some. :), “Used as traditional Chinese medicine since 200BC, goji berries have been extensively researched for their ability to generate general feelings of well-being, improve neurologic/psychologic traits, support better gastrointestinal health and bowel functions, help build stronger musculoskeletal systems, and improve cardiovascular health. They’re easy to add to meals to boost energy levels and performance.” http://ift.tt/29qvnit 🌟🎁🎄 #goji #gojiberries #chia #quinoa #superfood #superfoods #chiaph #quinoaph #keto #ketoph #phseller #healthyph #christmasgiftideas #giftideas #giftofhealth #christmasph #happyhealthyawesome #happyhealthy #happyhealthyholidays #BTMrecommends - December 16, 2017
- Stronger bones and muscles, healthier digestive systems, and firmer skin- that’s just a few of the benefits of chia. Get your friends and family started on their health journey by giving them this superfood! Each bottle of our chia is good for at least 18 servings. Drop us a message if you want to order, we’ll ship them to you before Christmas! 🌟🎁🎄 #chia #quinoa #superfood #superfoods #chiaph #quinoaph #keto #ketoph #phseller #healthyph #christmasgiftideas #giftideas #giftofhealth #christmasph #happyhealthyawesome #happyhealthy #happyhealthyholidays #BTMrecommends - December 15, 2017