If you follow my various social media feeds, you’d know that I’ve been on a cupcake-making binge lately. It all started when I was gifted a Babycakes maker a few months ago and tried to duplicate Boracay’s famous Real Tea & Coffee Calamansi muffins (in case you were wondering, it was successful, hrhr). Then we had an actual convection oven installed and that was when the crazy began.
Since I (still) am a baking beginner, it was all a quest for me. A quest to find the perfect recipe for this cupcake or that cupcake, starting with the basics. Every batch I baked was subjected to rigorous (lol, I actually just wanted to use that word) testing by various unbiased people, mostly family and friends forced not to be biased.
A staple chocolate cupcake was first on my list of baking “quests”. Let’s face it, chocolate is a flavor that very few people, adults and kids alike, can resist. Personally, I can’t get enough of the stuff although I have a slight allergy (asthma kicks in). I wanted to have a recipe that would yield moist, delicious, chocolate-y, and of course, simple to make chocolate cupcakes.
Numerous cupcakes were baked and consumed within the course of a couple of months. Several recipes, a lot of trial and error, and a few disasters later, I finally have the perfect chocolate cupcake recipe. And it’s all mixed in one bowl (LESS CLEANUP HOORAY). This recipe has turned out great for me every time and that’s just amazing, so I’ll be sharing the recipe with all you cute people.
What you’ll need (this batch makes 18 3oz cupcakes):
– 1 cup of cake flour
– 1 cup sugar
– 3/8 cup of cocoa powder (try to find a good wun)
– 3/4 tsp baking powder
– 3/4 tsp baking soda
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1 egg
– 1/2 cup milk
– 1/4 cup canola oil
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1/2 cup melted chocolate chips
– 1/2 cup boiling water
What to do:
– Grease your cupcake pan and line them with cute cupcake liners (the cuter the better)
– Preheat your oven to 180°C
– Using an electric mixer (or by hand if you’re hardcore), mix cake flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
– Add egg, milk, oil, vanilla, and chocolate chips to the mixture and mix until combined
– Add boiling water and mix for about a minute
– Pour the mixture into your cupcake cups, filling them only a little over half (this mixture rises. A LOT)
– Pop in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes. Do the toothpick test after 18 minutes and take it out of the oven as soon as it comes out clean
This is optional, it’s a personal preference than anything, but I like (and suggest) cleaning up the mess in the kitchen while waiting for the cupcakes to be done. You don’t waste time sitting idle watching your cupcakes to rise AND you have no more mess to worry about after the cupcakes are done (which means more time to enjoy the finished product). It’s a win-win. As soon as the chocolate cupcakes are nicely domed and done, cool your PERFECT chocolate cupcakes and frost them with whatever frosting you like (for this batch, I chose Orange Chocolate Buttercream, NOM).
Latest posts by bacontunamelt (see all)
- Hot summer day at home? Make your own fruit smoothie! Fruit shake goodness minus the sugar/syrup. [fruit+milk+stevia] #avocadoshake #fruitshake #meriendahits #happyhealthyawesome - April 26, 2017
- Sausage omelette + quinoa with veggies + blended oranges. #saturdaymornings #brekky #BTMcooks #happyhealthyawesome - April 22, 2017
- Lumpiang mozza dipped in leftover salsa. #mozarella #cheesesticks #happyhealthyawesome #BTMcooks - April 19, 2017