Don Don Donburi Japanese Restaurant isn’t exactly a happening place to be. Located in the inner streets of Barangay Pio Del Pilar in Makati, it’s not exactly the place where you’d find hungry yuppies (or the restaurant eating public) searching for a place to nom. With Little Tokyo just around the corner, Don Don Donburi faces a challenge in pulling customers in. But like small Makati restaurants 8065 Bagnet, 101 Hawker Food House, and TTK Singaporean Restaurant, Don Don Donburi has gained a loyal following. Mainly because of their food.
The restaurant space is tiny, with a small bar for single diners and a handful of tables for groups. We sat behind the bar that night because all the other tables were full. And because it’s more fun. Behind the bar, you can watch the staff carefully preparing your salads and sushi. Like this appetizer, the Kani Bou Salad, one of my favorites from any Japanese restaurant.
They took their sweet time preparing this salad- grating the cabbage, grating the cabbage, grating the cabbage. It really did take a long while before it got to us but it was well worth it in the end. It arrived in the middle of our meal (instead of before) but it was so delicious and fresh that no hungry tummies complained and everything was all good.
Donburi in Japanese literally means bowl, but nowadays it is also known as rice in a bowl. Opting to emphasize on the don, I have been led me to believe that Don Don Donburi has a lot of the stuff. Of course they do!
A staple in most Japanese restaurants, here in the Philippines at least, is the Gyu Don. This donburi has strips of beef sauteed in onion and a mild sweet soy seasoning on sticky Japanese rice, sometimes topped with a fresh egg. This one has tsukemono (pickled ginger) on it, and was a nice palate cleansing garnish. This gyudon is a particularly safe one, for when you want an old reliable.
Another not uncommon dish is the tonkatsu. It’s currently hot commodity in ouru food loving country. It has become so popular that there are restaurants dedicated solely for this Japanese dish. Don Don Donburi’s tonkatsu comes in a bento box with a side of veggies and some tsukemono. Sure, they have no unlimited rice (but there’s plenty!) nor cabbage salad, but it still a pretty solid dish.
Next we have Japanese restaurant staples- the Tendon (short for tenpuradon, or tenpura on top of a rice in a bowl), Ebi Tenpura (shrimp tempura), and Katsudon (fried pork sauteed in egg and onions). Nommy pictures below!
- Authentic Japanese noms!
- Authentic Japanese noms for cheap!
- Authentic Japanese noms for cheap in the city!
- Location is out of all the ways.
- Teeny tiny dining area.
4 bacons! We tried majority of the Japanese staples, but besides those, they also have an assortment of sushi and sashimi that are made fresh from behind the bar counter. They also have a ton of other things on the menu in Japanese that were written in Japanese. If you’re a fan of true Japanoms, you have got to try Don Don Donburi, I’m sure you’d be sat sat satisfied like I was. You know how I said they have a loyal following? That includes me, in case you haven’t figured it out.
Latest posts by bacontunamelt (see all)
- Craving a hearty breakfast but still want a low carb meal? Try replacing your white rice with some quinoa! It only has about 17 grams of net carbs per serving, so you can still enjoy a good breakfast the way you like it. ~~~ PM us for orders and inquiries. 🌟🎁🎄 #chia #quinoa #superfood #superfoods #chiaph #quinoaph #keto #ketoph #phseller #healthyph #christmasgiftideas #giftideas #giftofhealth #christmasph #happyhealthyawesome #happyhealthy #happyhealthyholidays #BTMrecommends - December 16, 2017
- Since we discovered how awesome this lesser-known superfood is, we wanted to share the goodness of goji berries with all of you. Now available in 100g snack packs, our Goji Supershot is a healthy mix of dried goji berries, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds to make for a festive, healthy, supersnack. Let us know if you want some. :), “Used as traditional Chinese medicine since 200BC, goji berries have been extensively researched for their ability to generate general feelings of well-being, improve neurologic/psychologic traits, support better gastrointestinal health and bowel functions, help build stronger musculoskeletal systems, and improve cardiovascular health. They’re easy to add to meals to boost energy levels and performance.” http://ift.tt/29qvnit 🌟🎁🎄 #goji #gojiberries #chia #quinoa #superfood #superfoods #chiaph #quinoaph #keto #ketoph #phseller #healthyph #christmasgiftideas #giftideas #giftofhealth #christmasph #happyhealthyawesome #happyhealthy #happyhealthyholidays #BTMrecommends - December 16, 2017
- Stronger bones and muscles, healthier digestive systems, and firmer skin- that’s just a few of the benefits of chia. Get your friends and family started on their health journey by giving them this superfood! Each bottle of our chia is good for at least 18 servings. Drop us a message if you want to order, we’ll ship them to you before Christmas! 🌟🎁🎄 #chia #quinoa #superfood #superfoods #chiaph #quinoaph #keto #ketoph #phseller #healthyph #christmasgiftideas #giftideas #giftofhealth #christmasph #happyhealthyawesome #happyhealthy #happyhealthyholidays #BTMrecommends - December 15, 2017