Flavor isn’t only the sole factor in determining the greatness of a dish. More than just the taste, presentation has become a major factor in the total yumminess of noms. Food that tastes good but looks like vomit just won’t pass the critical nommers test. This has been the way of the world for years. Nowadays, the public standards for “good food” are even more rigid. More than tasting good and looking good, a plated dish has to be photogenic too.
The advent of mobile technology brought about microblogging which lets you share your life with the rest of the world in real time. New parents share their baby’s first step/blink/word/spit, fashion fiends share their OOTD/OOTN/shoes/hair/makeup, and the rest of us share our food- we’ve got boatloads of pictures of our breakfast, lunch, dinner, or random snacks. Since everyone needs to eat, food is definitely one of the most shared photographs in the online world today.
Unfortunately, not everyone has a good eye for composition and unappetizing food pictures are aplenty. One example would be Martha Stewart’s controversial food pictures on Instagram. Her self-taken food pictures has grossed out many of her followers enough for it to create an online buzz recently. Since Martha Stewart is practically a household name in the world of foodums, people expect her to churn out better than average pictures on the popular photo sharing site. But she doesn’t.
She’s one of us. She takes grainy pictures of carefully plated food (that makes the rest want to never eat again) and claims it was the best dish ever. Judging from the pictures alone makes one wonder if she’s lying through her teeth or is just a really bad photographer.
Unfortunately, pictures like Ms. Stewart’s could be bad advertising for the food industry. Instead of enticing the audience to go and get their product, bad photos could make them want to stay as far away as they can. But what can you do? You can’t stop people from taking bad pictures of their own food.
The best that food entrepreneurs can do is to ensure that their food is photogenic from any angle the average phone photographer can take. Although it’s not foolproof, it will at least make sure that majority of photos of their food available online are good enough. For everyone else, just try to make your food look pretty. Here are a few nice guides I like that you may find useful as well:
- Quick Food Photography Tips To Make Mouth Watering Images
- Food photography 101: Framing food with your phone
- 5 Tips for Delicious Food Photos
- 11 Great Camera Angles for Food Photography
- Photograph Food Without a Fancy Camera
This brings me back to needing to take better noms pictures for BaconTunaMelt. This should be my new year’s resolution. For 2014, I am resolving to give you guys yummier food pics. May I hold true to this resolution. Happy holidays everyone!
*all pictures were ganked from the articles/sites linked above.
Latest posts by bacontunamelt (see all)
- Craving a hearty breakfast but still want a low carb meal? Try replacing your white rice with some quinoa! It only has about 17 grams of net carbs per serving, so you can still enjoy a good breakfast the way you like it. ~~~ PM us for orders and inquiries. 🌟🎁🎄 #chia #quinoa #superfood #superfoods #chiaph #quinoaph #keto #ketoph #phseller #healthyph #christmasgiftideas #giftideas #giftofhealth #christmasph #happyhealthyawesome #happyhealthy #happyhealthyholidays #BTMrecommends - December 16, 2017
- Since we discovered how awesome this lesser-known superfood is, we wanted to share the goodness of goji berries with all of you. Now available in 100g snack packs, our Goji Supershot is a healthy mix of dried goji berries, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds to make for a festive, healthy, supersnack. Let us know if you want some. :), “Used as traditional Chinese medicine since 200BC, goji berries have been extensively researched for their ability to generate general feelings of well-being, improve neurologic/psychologic traits, support better gastrointestinal health and bowel functions, help build stronger musculoskeletal systems, and improve cardiovascular health. They’re easy to add to meals to boost energy levels and performance.” http://ift.tt/29qvnit 🌟🎁🎄 #goji #gojiberries #chia #quinoa #superfood #superfoods #chiaph #quinoaph #keto #ketoph #phseller #healthyph #christmasgiftideas #giftideas #giftofhealth #christmasph #happyhealthyawesome #happyhealthy #happyhealthyholidays #BTMrecommends - December 16, 2017
- Stronger bones and muscles, healthier digestive systems, and firmer skin- that’s just a few of the benefits of chia. Get your friends and family started on their health journey by giving them this superfood! Each bottle of our chia is good for at least 18 servings. Drop us a message if you want to order, we’ll ship them to you before Christmas! 🌟🎁🎄 #chia #quinoa #superfood #superfoods #chiaph #quinoaph #keto #ketoph #phseller #healthyph #christmasgiftideas #giftideas #giftofhealth #christmasph #happyhealthyawesome #happyhealthy #happyhealthyholidays #BTMrecommends - December 15, 2017