The name C2 Classic implies that the restaurant would serve traditional Filipino noms. You’d think that their food can be found and cooked in majority of households in the country. You’d think it’s the kind of Filipino food that would make tourists want to come back instead of proclaiming that they’d rather die than have to eat our food again*. The kind that would invoke such good memories of childhood that you’re left in a happy bubble until the end of the day. Well, they lied. They’re much better.
C2 Classic has been around for awhile and I want to smack myself on the head for not knowing much about their menu until recently. Sure, their noms make both locals and tourists alike eager to come back but it’s not simply the typical, traditional Filipino food that your lola serves (although those are the best, come to think of it). C2 Classic made sure to spice up Filipino favorites with unique twists. Liars.
Take for example C2’s Crispy Kare Kare. Usually, Kare-Kare is a creamy, nutty, sweet stew of various beef parts including tripe and tail (among other more conventional meat parts), cooked all in one pot together with a handful of greens and is a popular dish served during Filipino celebrations. C2 took it upon themselves to infuse all delicious elements of the classic dish with another Filipino favorite- the Crispy Pata. For the sake of non-Filipino readers, Crispy Pata is sizable chunk of pork hock deep fried until the meat is tender and the skin is crispy. Served with steaming rice on a particularly stressful day, it is as delightful as it sounds (never mind your cholesterol).
C2’s Crispy Kare Kare is a combination of both classics, making it a legit bestseller (in my book at least). The fried pata (pork hock) lies on bed of steamed vegetables, with the nutty kare kare sauce and bagoong (shrimp paste) in separate bowls nicely arranged on a large plate rather than all mixed in one jumbled bowl.
Kinilaw na Liempo is another example. Kinilaw, a Visayan specialty, is a term that could be used to describe the way to prepare a dish, usually raw tuna soaked/cooked in vinegar and other spices then served as an appetizer or a side to a round of beer. Liempo, almost a staple in most Filipino restaurants, is marinated pork belly grilled served with rice, and not much else. C2’s Kinilaw na Liempo combines the two- grilled liempo is served soaking in milky sour sauce made with coconut milk, vinegar, and various spices.
Together it makes for an unusual yet yummy dish, absolutely perfect with steaming white rice (LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE IN THIS WORLD IS!).
Even dessert at C2 Classic is not your everyday Pinoy dessert. Their award winning Bibingka Souffle is a light and fluffy blend of coconut custard, salted egg, and quezo de bola. It’s so light it almost reminds you of icing! I admit that the sweet and savory combo was a bit too disconcerting, my mind couldn’t make out whether it’s a dessert or a snack. It’s a little bit of both that’s for sure. This unique take on the classic Filipino pastry is something to try at least once (or twice, or many times) in your lifetime.
Since we’re doing a review of the restaurant as a whole and not just the food, I’ll say that I couldn’t help but notice how uninspired most of the staff were. There weren’t many guests that time but it all seemed like they had no interest at what they’re doing. I don’t mind if the staff isn’t too attentive, there’s nothing more annoying than an overzealous staff who talks more than he listens but seeming like you don’t care for your job is just a little off-putting. Then again, I’m just being nitpicky. Let me just clarify- no one was rude, just a little.. blah.
- There’s a unique twist to old favorites.
- Oldies but goodies.
- Good place to bring tourists who want to try Filipino food.
- Very reasonably priced.
- Uninspired staff.
- Small dining area (in SM Megamall, at least).
4 out of 5 bacons! C2 Classic does not serve “classic” dishes like the name implies, instead, they up the ante and sprinkle something new to old favorites. They end up with dishes that are sometimes weird, always unique, but mostly delicious!
C2 Classic Cuisine
Address: 3F SM Megamall, Atrium , Julia Vargas Ave cor EDSA, Wack Wack, Mandaluyong
Contact details: (+632) 470-1152
Others: C2 Classic Cuisine Official Website
*read about it here – http://etramping.com/rather-go-hungry-eat-filipino-food-again/
Latest posts by bacontunamelt (see all)
- Craving a hearty breakfast but still want a low carb meal? Try replacing your white rice with some quinoa! It only has about 17 grams of net carbs per serving, so you can still enjoy a good breakfast the way you like it. ~~~ PM us for orders and inquiries. 🌟🎁🎄 #chia #quinoa #superfood #superfoods #chiaph #quinoaph #keto #ketoph #phseller #healthyph #christmasgiftideas #giftideas #giftofhealth #christmasph #happyhealthyawesome #happyhealthy #happyhealthyholidays #BTMrecommends - December 16, 2017
- Since we discovered how awesome this lesser-known superfood is, we wanted to share the goodness of goji berries with all of you. Now available in 100g snack packs, our Goji Supershot is a healthy mix of dried goji berries, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds to make for a festive, healthy, supersnack. Let us know if you want some. :), “Used as traditional Chinese medicine since 200BC, goji berries have been extensively researched for their ability to generate general feelings of well-being, improve neurologic/psychologic traits, support better gastrointestinal health and bowel functions, help build stronger musculoskeletal systems, and improve cardiovascular health. They’re easy to add to meals to boost energy levels and performance.” http://ift.tt/29qvnit 🌟🎁🎄 #goji #gojiberries #chia #quinoa #superfood #superfoods #chiaph #quinoaph #keto #ketoph #phseller #healthyph #christmasgiftideas #giftideas #giftofhealth #christmasph #happyhealthyawesome #happyhealthy #happyhealthyholidays #BTMrecommends - December 16, 2017
- Stronger bones and muscles, healthier digestive systems, and firmer skin- that’s just a few of the benefits of chia. Get your friends and family started on their health journey by giving them this superfood! Each bottle of our chia is good for at least 18 servings. Drop us a message if you want to order, we’ll ship them to you before Christmas! 🌟🎁🎄 #chia #quinoa #superfood #superfoods #chiaph #quinoaph #keto #ketoph #phseller #healthyph #christmasgiftideas #giftideas #giftofhealth #christmasph #happyhealthyawesome #happyhealthy #happyhealthyholidays #BTMrecommends - December 15, 2017